Thursday, July 11, 2013

7-11-13 From Morning 'til Night

Thursday, July 11th
...it was a shore day for me...so tired I thought I would get some rest...ha!
...some of the whales came back down the westside this morning...
...others went down Rosario last night...and in the afternoon they all went up island again...the kayakers are getting ready...
...I was surprised to see the the L22s were still here...the rest of the L pod whales who had been here had gone out toward the open ocean yesterday...
...The L22s were mixed in with Js and Ks, close to shore...so much was going on...
...Onyx L-87, who travels with J pod, and Tika K-33 a sprouter male, and others passed by in the kelp...then Onyx and Tika turned around and came back...Tika 'the sprouter' with his 'fat' looking fin...

...I had my camera up thinking I would get nice dorsal fin images of them as they went by...however...!

...I just started clicking away...didn't even need to move the camera...it's called a lucky moment!


...then I watched as Tika headed up island and as Onyx headed offshore, the opposite direction from Tika, toward Discovery Island, where, a few miles offshore were several other whales...I think it was mainly Group B out there...it was just unusual to see Onyx back there with them...it was, however, what appeared to be a socializing afternoon!...they headed up island several miles behind the others...

...late that evening some of the whales turned and came back down island...

...what a wonderful way to end of the day...

Thank you whales.
I hope all that energy was because you are finding lots of Chinook salmon.

No comments: