Wednesday, February 19, 2014

2-19-14 So Quick and So Quiet!

Wednesday, February 19th
...it was somewhere, just a bit after, I think, 10 a.m....I heard one single syllable - what sounded like a call on the Orca Sound hydrophones...and that was it!...there may have been more before that, I don't know...

...it was somewhere around 11 am. when the phone rang "you got whales by your place going south"...something like that...it was all a blurr...throwing on my gear and out the door...

...the seas were rough, lots of white caps...
...they were quiet...I heard no more calls...
...there were only two whales close enough to get any images...one was DoubleStuf J-34 and the other his mom...

...scanning produced more blows farther offshore...
...I listened to the recording...no calls at all...
I can 'guess' that it was all of J pod and Onyx who came back down, but I don't know positively...I thought I saw Onyx through my binos but couldn't find him again to get a picture...in fact it seemed they all disappeared into the white caps!

No comments: