Monday, April 7, 2014

4-7-14 T86A Packin Her Meal!

Monday, April 7th
...I've heard it said that the whales will 'pack their food' and take it with them, but I hadn't ever seen it...until now!...
...T86A has a good portion of the Steller sea lion tucked under her pec fin!  

Oh, my, I never thought I would ever get a picture of this behavior!!! 

...will post more later of the afternoon trip while on Legacy Charters...

NOTE:  T86A is unable to close her mouth no matter when you see her.

Another note:  I don't like posting misleading or incorrect information and it was suggested that it looked like she had a piece of the animal in her mouth and it was just hanging down her side.
That can be another possibility since I didn't see this moment from any other angle.  I guess the best proof would to have a straight on shot - maybe someday. Anyway...it was cool whatever she was doing!

Who was present?
T124, T124C, T124D, T124E, T124A, T124A1,T124A2 and her offspring T124A2A, T124A3, T124A4 and baby T124A5, T86A, T86A1, T86A3, T87, T90, and I need to verify T90B, and T90C, but I'm pretty sure they were there with their mom...

...one of the females batted a big chunk of meat into the air...
...and the gulls immediately began getting bits and pieces off the surface...
...at one point T124A was pushing her youngest, T124A5...
...and at another point an eagle appeared in the middle of the gulls...got a piece of food and took off...

...here's another picture of T86A with her open mouth...
...it was quite an amazing afternoon...


1 comment:

Robyn said...

Wow! That's a heck of a photo! I bet there's a lot of marine biologists that would love to see that. Great work and thanks so much for sharing.