Wednesday, August 6, 2014

8-6-14 He Ran After the Whales

Wednesday, August 6th
...Today is J-49's birthday...hope he's having a salmon party out there in the open ocean, wherever they are...
...out on Maya's Westside Charters for a noon trip to see the transients who had earlier been spotted coming up the Vancouver side of Haro Strait...I was listening to both Lime Kiln hydrophones and Orca Sound hydrophones and I didn't hear calls from the Ts...but it's not uncommon for them to be silent...
...by the noon trip they had already passed the west side of Sidney Island and traveled up the passage on the west side of Cole Island, staying under the surface until they were on the far side...
...it was the T30s...a family of 5 - T30 and her four kids and her one grand kid are who we saw...
...they were in slow travel mode and staying pretty much on a line, changing it up once in a while...and one of the 'once in a whiles' they quietly made a kill...

...it looked like something was going on but not much and they continued on...it wasn't until I looked at my images that I could confirm they had just had something to eat...
...I had met some folks at Lime Kiln the other day who were going out on the Western Explorer today...the fella had a huge camera lens...
..."oh, there he is" or I should say that's his camera lens!
...the whales moved in closer to shore along Salt Spring Island...a place where there is camping...there was this fella standing and watching the whales...




...he, just like many people, could not just stand there...he had to follow them as far as he possibly could...
...if you've 'been there done that' you know what I'm talking about...if you haven't yet had the experience then perhaps one day you will...I hope you do!

No comments: