Monday, September 1, 2014

9-1-14 When Least Expected

Monday, September 1st
...I get a call from Capt. Jim, who got a call from Ivan of the Western Prince...Ts off of South Beach...can I go do some 'whale sitting'...sure...and hope they don't disappear from my view...
...okay, so Ivan 'hands them off' to me...I go to the next turn out...and there's a fella there with a bicycle...he's looking at the pretty view...I'm looking out to sea for the whales...after a few minutes, way in the distance they surface, and I call out to him to see if he saw the whales...he looks at me like I'm nuts...
...so I said just wait...he told me he'd been on the island for a week and hadn't seen a whale yet...so when they surfaced again I handed him my binos and he got so excited to see his first killer whales!...that stuff always makes me smile...
...these whales are called the T18s - T18, T19, T19B, and T19C... and T19B has a huge dorsal fin - that helped with the thrill too!
...no time for pictures here...the whales were moving quickly...off I went to Cattle Pass...
...T19B's fin leans heavily to the left...
...they were very far away, but we both got to see whales today :)

No comments: