Monday, September 15, 2014

9-15-14 The T60's Again

Monday, September 15th
...no sign of Granny and Group A, but the T60s were seen again...so off we went on Maya's Westside Charters to see what they were up to...especially after yesterday!
...nice group...and there was one other with them...T002B...
...I don't know if she is always with them or just some of the time...I've only seen them a few times...and this time I noticed that T60 had some tagging lumps on her...at least there wasn't any metal sticking out...
...I noticed T60F with a newish scratch...now these types of marks are naturally occurring from the way they live...the tagging marks are something that was done to them by humans...
...I noticed all these things because the whales became very active...it looked like a couple of the kids were getting in some hunting practice...and then later the adults came in and completed the meal preparation...






...while we were with the T60s group we got word that Group A had been seen out in the Strait of Juan de Fuca...so the mystery of who had been on the hydrophones at 11pm last night, remains just that a mystery...


...Granny J-2 and the other 12 whales of Group A were coming back in...but they took a very long time...
...when I got to the park and to the lighthouse and was sure the whales were coming up island, I heard some young ladies talking...and with what I heard I figured I better let them know that they were about to see whales...and when they did...well, need I say more!...always special when I get to hear/see people who are seeing killer whales in the wild for the first time...and especially the Southern Residents because many people have been adopters of these whales...sometimes they even get to see 'their' whale...
...but the J16s didn't come up...they stayed down island...

...a few other times this year the J16s have split off from Group A...remember when they were down by the Deception Pass bridge (post 8-13) when Granny was up at the Fraser...well no telling where the J16s will be tomorrow...





No comments: