Wednesday, September 24, 2014

9/22-24/14 Going In Circles

Monday, September 22nd
...on the way to the Strait of Georgia to see J pod Capt. Jim spotted a bird zooming around, chasing gulls...what was it?...
...the bird was extraordinarily fast...and could descend and ascend making very tight turns...and the captain was going in circles fast, while I was in the back leaning from one side to the other to try to get pictures of this unknown to us bird!



...that's a first for me...had never even heard of it before...

...the next day we went in circles again, this time with a large number of Pacific white sided dolphins...what a great encounter off the Victoria waterfront...





...and over the last several days there have been several humpback whales in the area...
...Split Fin is easy to identify and today this humpback spent a good portion of the day traveling up and down the west side of San Juan Island, mainly in view from Lime Kiln Pt. State Park, up island or down island...
...and going down...it seemed that she too was going in circles...
...that's the longest time I've ever watched a humpback whale!

...early this morning 9-24 I recorded over the Lime Kiln hydrophones what I think was a humpback whale vocalizing in some manner...not a song, but more like grunts and groans...I've sent the recording off to the experts to let me know if I'm totally off base or not...
...here's what I heard over the Lime Kiln hydrophones:
...next post I'll catch up on the Residents for the last few days...

No comments: