Monday, October 13, 2014

10-13-14 There Was Only One Way Out

Monday, October 13th
...a beautiful, calm morning...a few clouds in the distance...a day to be on the water...
...I planned to go on the Western Prince...the boat I saw my first ever whales from...so I couldn't end the year without at least one trip on the Prince...
...as I was pulling in to park my car I get a call telling me to get out on the Prince, because whales are not far from Friday Harbor - wow! I was already there!
...killer whales had been spotted from the ferry...actually a couple of times, so we knew they hadn't gone too far, but the options were many, with so many islands they could be behind while we or others were on the other side...but that wasn't going to be the case today...

...we went up past the Orca Island ferry landing, heading west...there were a couple options after that...we turned and headed up into West Sound, a place that 'no one ever sees whales'...except last year members of J Pod were in West Sound, but that was like the first time in 'forever'...

...we slowly went up scanning and scanning...then Ivan spots them, all the way back up on the west side of the sound...they were in Massacre Bay...and by Skull Island...what names!...they were spread out...a couple on the west side and several on the right side...they had been working the top end of the sound...
...they began to move over to the east side and down...






...they came out of West Sound...
...
 
...often in rough seas, when they surface they will bring their heads up...I would imagine it would be to get a good breath...
...seeing whales in Massacre Bay and by Skull Island - Amazing!



No comments: