Tuesday, June 9, 2015

6-9-15 Unexpected Appearance in the Kelp

Tuesday, June 9th
...on Monday night at 11:30 pm I heard a few seconds of L pod calls...'they're back'...was my thought...so when, this morning at 6:30, I heard one faint sound and got to the west side asap...
...some L pod whales were coming up island...I was at Land Bank and watched them as they came up, foraged for a short while and then went back down island...
...at about 11:00 a.m. they came back up island...this time all 15 of them, and they were moving fast...then I learn that J pod is coming down from Kellett Bluff and they too are moving fast...off to County Park I go to see if there will be a 'meet up'...
...previously I had been talking with a kayaker about my concern of kayakers rafting up in the kelp at Low Island, just off County Park...it got my attention because the whales use those specific kelp beds often...and often kayakers will raft up in the kelp around Low Island...we both happened to be at County Park today when the whales were there...all the whales were on the far side of the kelp and not in it...that is except for one who surprised us all when she popped up in the kelp!
..was trying to say - she's using the kelp for something...
...the underlying question is will kayaks rafting in the kelp cause a whale to not go there?


...Thanks Granny message received!

...when they got down to Lime Kiln...


...later in the day out on Peregrine with Capt. David, we went to meet up with the whales who were slowly coming back up island...
...whatever they were doing it was fun to watch...
...Midnight 'tangled' with something a long time ago...


...I heard a few J pod calls over the Orca Sound hydrophones, but I had just come in the door, so no telling what I had missed...and at about the same time I heard a few L pod calls over the Lime Kiln hydrophones...so which way did any of them go?

No comments: