Saturday, September 19, 2015

9-19-15 Change of Seasons Begins

Friday, September 18th
...it was a day of lots of exercise...of the 'chasing' after the whales from shore kind of day...
...the whales were several miles off from San Juan Island in the morning...didn't know if or how long they might come this way...by early afternoon they were coming up island...
...Granny J-2 was in the lead, quite a distance from where I was standing, then a couple others...the J16s were coming up and Racer L-72 was coming up as well...

...that's when I bolted and went to the park because they appeared, this time, to be heading up...
...I got to the park in time to see Granny J-2 come in to the park, Hy'Shqa J-37 and couple others...but that was all...
.."oh, no, they flipped"...
...I made it back down island in time to see the J16s pass by...

...all the whales had gone back down...and I got in my exercise for the day!

Saturday, September 19th
...my first thoughts when I saw this scene this morning...several boats heading to their winter homes...one sailing away...some friends had just left the island until next year, which gave me a lugubrious feeling...it's time for the next season to be ushered in...

...the day was gloomy, the whales were located way out west, heading in the 'wrong' direction for me and the right direction for them...

...out on the Peregrine with Capt. Jim for an afternoon trip...we headed north to see a humpback whale in some pretty choppy seas...at one point we came upon a Steller sea lion haul out...not sure where, but not where we normally travel...I think this picture is too cute...so I had to put a message on it!
...why breach those dams?  To save the Southern Resident orcas and to save the world's greatest salmon producing river system!

No comments: