Tuesday, December 1, 2015

12-1-15 Wild and Crazy Calls

Tuesday, December 1st
...I thought about J pod this morning, but didn't know I would actually end up seeing some of them!...their whereabouts have not been known for about the last ten days...so when whales showed up coming up San Juan Channel this morning and one adult male was seen...hummm...well, that sounded like transients...
...so I was on my way to see who might be out there and not knowing anything except that I had to go and see, because that is what I do :)...
...I learn from Ivan, Western Prince, who had gotten out there to see just who was present - it was Group A and the K13s!
...they were on the far side of the channel...



...after leaving Spieden Channel they began coming down island...but only the K13s did I hear over the hydrophones and only the K13s did I see coming down island passing the lighthouse...
...when they did, there were some fascinating calls over the hydrophones...I stopped video tape so I could get ID images of who was going by...that's why this video clip is sort of strange...video/images/audio all together to help give you the idea of what the whales were doing...
...I have heard similar 'wild and crazy calls' just before porpoising...so this really got my attention...
...there were only a few people at the park...after all it is December and it was cold and very windy...after a while and no more sightings of anyone else coming down everyone left...
...no sooner do I get on to the next thing for the day..."whales in San Juan Channel" - yikes...off and running again...this time toward the bottom end of the island...oops!...they turned north...back up island...I actually made it before they got there but they were so extremely far away...there were a lot of birds flying above the whales...which will sometimes have one thinking it is Ts. Not this time.
...I learned from Ivan of the Western Prince that it was Group B whales!...very cool...so it seemed that all of the family groups were represented even if not all in the same location at the same time.

...so where will the K13s show up again next?...and will all of J pod be together next time we see them?
 

No comments: