Tuesday, October 11, 2016

10-11-16 Stunning Encounter Today


Tuesday, October 11th
...today some K and L pod whales were somewhere in the area but I didn't think they were going to get within range of me seeing them today...oh, how wrong I was!
...mid-afternoon some whales had made it to the west side and were ever so slowly making their way up island...
...the L54s along with Nyssa L-84 and Wave Walker L-88 were present...I didn't see very many whales...hum...
...as they got a bit closer to Lime Kiln, Cappuccino K-21 was present and Opus K-16 and Sonata K-35...Ino L-54, Coho L-108, Nyssa L-84 and a couple others...
...they were pretty far from shore and back lit by the late afternoon sun...
...I was just about to pack up when I noticed down island three whales in the distance...okay, "stay put" I said to myself...
...and the Stunning (to me) Encounter was soon to unfold...
...after noticing the three whales and keeping an eye on their progress, I heard a blow that was much closer - "oh, my, a line of whales!"...and they were just about in the park...
...down under they went and down they stayed for about three minutes...
...while waiting on this line of whales to surface again I hear someone say, "Look! They are right on shore!"... I did. They were. But those were fewer and they were farther down from the line of whales I had seen...
...and then that line surfaced, but this time they were no longer going up island they had turned in toward shore...
...I snapped as many images as I could in the waning light and hoped I would get some IDs...but did it matter?...no not really...not this time...
...and here is what they did...a short clip of what lasted about 10 minutes...


 ...all I could think of toward the end of this were the words:
The Purpose of Being 
Interpret it how you like.
Think it dramatic?
It is.
They are.
And we know and respect that.

No comments: